Sunday, March 8, 2015

Couponing

Okay, so I've already gotten a lot of questions about my couponing, even though I'm brand new to the scene. I figure the best way to share with you all though is through my blog. I, for the most part, am not the brains behind the operation. My fabulous cousin, Kayla, introduced me to a site called KrogerKrazy.com. Kroger is where I do most of my shopping because there's one practically in my backyard here in Columbus. So here's what I do:

1. Check krogerkrazy.com every day. She posts all the deals, where to find the coupons, and the price you can get the items for. She also has coupon databases linked to her site, and pretty much everything you could need to get started.

2. For my biggest haul to date (which was yesterday lol), I used a coupon from coupons.com. It was for $2 off any three packages of Mars/Wrigley jelly beans. The coupon was a bit of a fluke, because it didn't list a size requirement for the product which is a couponers best friend! So instead of purchasing $3 bags of jelly beans, I used it on the $0.50 bags of single serving jelly beans.

3. So, 3 bags of jelly beans * $0.50 = $1.50. The coupon was for $2, so that gave me a $0.50 credit on every coupon I used. I was able to print 49 coupons because I have access to computer labs at school. You can only print 2/computer using most online sites, so that significantly cuts down on your coupon printing abilities. However, I suggest you print from every device you have access to, and also all your friends houses. (Just promise them free food).

4. I have 49 coupons * 3 bags of beans = 147 bags of jelly beans. WOO!! I also earned $0.50 on every coupon, so 49 coupons * $0.50 = $24.50 in free grocery credits. Now if I were actually good at this couponing thing, I would have taken that as an opportunity to coupon for a lot more free stuff! You can purchase a lot for $24.50 if you do it right. However, I am not that good yet, so I purchased 28 boxes of Jiffy Mix ($0.50/each) and 2 lbs of coffee because I was out. I could have purchased 122 pkgs. of Ramen noodles instead.. but that seemed a bit excessive.

And that's it! I plan to donate my jelly beans and jiffy mix because I do not need to stock pile jelly beans, however, for those who do not coupon on such a ridiculous level, it'll be the perfect amount for you.

For example, if you can get your hands on 4 coupons * 3 jelly beans = 12 bags of beans (perfect for your kids' Easter baskets or your own personal consumption). You'll also earn $2 in credit so you can buy yourself something nice, like ice cream, and it'll all be free!

I think my biggest piece of couponing advice is to not think you're going to get $800 in groceries for free all the time like they do on TV. (Despite popular belief, not everything you see on TV is totally accurate). If you manage to save $5 on your groceries, be happy!! That's $5 you were prepared to spend but didn't have to. That means you can throw that $5 in your vacation jar, or buy a cheeseburger.

I will continue to post my couponing experiences as I go. Stay tuned for more deals.

No comments:

Post a Comment