Saturday, October 25, 2014

Mini Apple Pies

I don't have a good track record with pies. I think I've made 2 attempts at baking pies, epically failing both times. My pie generally looks more like cobbler by the time I'm done. It's kind of unfortunate considering I have a pretty famous pie baker in the family (my grandma). So, grandma, if you're reading this, I'm going to apologize in advance because I did not make homemade pie crust, however, my excuse is that I didn't have your recipe. Anyways, mini pies are all the rage right now and I just couldn't resist trying my hand at them regardless of my skills set.. This is a pretty lengthy process so here we go;

 

So your final product will look like this. Cupcake sized pies that are perfect for single servings, for events such as family dinners or small parties. Some people are even substituting these tiny desserts for cake at weddings.




 First step of the process is to cut up some apples. I cut WAY too many, so I'm not sure if my apples are just huge, or I really over-estimated. However, it turned out okay because I just baked the excess. Anyways, peel the apples, and core them..





Then you're gonna want to cut up your apples into pretty small pieces. Again, I cut mine too big at first so this picture is a little off. (Let's remember this blog is titled trial and error..) Once you've got the apples into pretty tiny pieces, throw them in a bowl.




Toss those bad boys in the cinnamon sugar mixture that will be listed below until they're completely covered.






Roll out your pie dough, and cut into circles. Your mini pies are going to be baked in a cupcake pan, so whatever you use must be about twice the size. I used the lid to a large Bath and Body works candle. (I'm a college kid. If I learn nothing else, at least I'm resourceful). I used store bought dough, so I got about 8 circles out of one sheet (enough for a 9 inch regular shell).


 Place your dough circles into a greased cupcake pan and poke a few holes in the bottom to allow the air out.




Fill up your pies with the apples just to the top.





Roll out your other sheet of dough and cut it so its a rectangle. You need this to top your pies.





 Now, I know you're thinking how did that rectangle turn into that lattice looking thing. It wasn't magic. Cut your dough into pretty skinny strips, then your just continue to lay pieces down and create a lattice, overlapping the strips. I know it looks complicated, but its not. Its just tedious. However, be sure you lightly press down where the stripes overlap so it wont just fall apart.



Use a smaller circle to cut out circles from the lattice dough to top your pies. I used an actual cookie-cutter this time. Then carefully place it on top of your pies and pinch around the edges to seal it. Place a little cold butter on top and you're ready to go into the oven!



Your finished little pies should look like these! Those are the extra apples I baked and they were delicious! I was so excited when these turned out as good as they did.. Frankie doesn't even like apple pie and he ate them ;)

Mini Apple Pies

Yields: 8 Mini Pies

3-4 Medium Apples (I used Gala)        1 Tbsp. Flour
1/4 C. Sugar                                          1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 C. Brown Sugar                               Pinch of Salt
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract                             2 9-Inch Pie Crusts
2 Tbsp. Butter

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and grease cupcake pan.
2. Peel and core apples, then slice into very small pieces (about the size of a fingernail).
3. In a bowl, mix sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt til combined, then add vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
4. Add apple slices and mix until the apples are completely coated.
5. Roll out pie crust (if pre-rolled, roll out a little more anyways). You need it to be pretty thin. 
6. Use a circle cutter to cut circles out of the dough large enough to fill the cupcake pan. (About 3 inch diameter.)
7. Push dough circles into individual cupcake molds so it covers the bottom and sides. 
8. Use a fork to poke a few holes in the bottom of each pie to allow the air to escape while baking. 
9. Fill unbaked pies with apple filling until they are full just above the top.
10. Roll out second pie crust just as before. Then cut sides so that the crust is a square shape.
11. Cut the square dough into skinny strips.
12. Lay the strips down in order to create a lattice. A picture is showed above. This is a hard thing to explain, but I promise it's not that difficult.
13. Once you have created a decently large lattice area, lightly roll your rolling pin over the top in order to secure all the seams.
14. Use a smaller circle cutter (about 2x2 inch.) to carefully cut circles out of the lattice. 
15. Take each lattice circle and cover each pie with one, and pinch sides to seal.
16. Place a small piece of butter on top of each pie (about 1/4 Tbsp.)
17. Bake mini pies for about 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown
18. Allow to cool, remove from pan, and enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment